Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Exodus for Lent: Week 1, Wednesday


Read: Exodus 2:16-22

Reflect: When Moses sees the bullies run off the women from the well, he intervenes, just as he intervened when the Egyptian beat the slave and when one slave wronged another. Bullies are everywhere…in our schools, workplaces, homes, and even churches. Have you ever been bullied? Were you afraid? Did you stand up to the bully, or did someone else stand up for you? How can you stand up for those who are being bullied today, who just want their turn at the well?
 
Write: (on your own or in the comments here)

Recite the Week's Verse: Isaiah 41:13 For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, “Do not fear; I will help you.”

Pray: Gracious Lord, Help me grow in courage and faith so that my fear does not stop me from doing what is right in your eyes. Amen.
 

1 comment:

  1. The only type of bullying I've ever experienced was the ridiculously juvenile kind...not the scary, threatening kind. The juvenile kind is generally dealt with easily (put a lock on the locker people are rigging to dump at your feet, keep change in your pocket instead of purse where other kids might sneak and steal it).

    When I was in first grade, though, a second-grade bully was picking on one of my classmates on the playground. I got "in his face" (had to stand on tiptoe to make eye contact with his chin!) and gave him a scolding and threatened to tell the teachers. He left the first graders alone after that. What a powerful lesson. Stand up for those who aren't standing up for themselves. Bullies back down. I've had precious little opportunity to exercise that lesson as an adult.

    I just love Moses. He's so brave yet so insecure at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!