Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Exodus for Lent: Week 2, Tuesday


Read: Exodus 5:22-6:9

 

Reflect: God’s ways are not our ways. The Israelites want to be set free, but God’s purpose is much greater than relief from bondage. The Israelites “would not listen…because of their broken spirit.” When we’re at our lowest, it’s hard to hear the words of comfort and hope others say. Has there been a time of broken spirit for you or someone you know? How did you or this other person learn to listen again to words of hope?

 

Write: On your own or in the comments here


Recite: John 10:27-28 [Jesus said,] “My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand.”


Pray: Redeeming Lord, Speak to me so that I may listen and be lead by your Word to eternal life in Christ. Amen.

 

1 comment:

  1. Broken spirit. Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt.

    People who are depressed don't hear words of encouragement. Those words have to bombard them over time, and through experience they need to see how blessed they really are, even in times of trouble. The story of Exodus is also the story of depression recovery, a long and winding and difficult journey that ends in God's victory, one way or the other. I just love how God never, ever gives up on Israel, even when they themselves give up.

    He never gives up on us. We give up on Him and break his heart. But even so, He's waiting, loving, and forever reaching out in grace, peace, love, and mercy. No one will snatch his sheep from his hand!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!