Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Exodus for Lent: Week 1, Tuesday

Read: Exodus 2:11-15; Acts 7:23-29

Reflect: Despite being raised as an Egyptian, Moses identifies with the Israelites. The Israelites, however, do not identify with him or trust him. He doesn’t seem to belong to either group, and when he realizes this, he is afraid. Have you ever felt alone and isolated in a crowd, misunderstood and scorned, or even invisible and ignored? How did you react? What did you learn from the experience? How did it change you?

Write: (on your own or in the comments here)

Recite the Week's Verse: Isaiah 41:13 For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, “Do not fear; I will help you.”

Pray: Gracious Lord, Help me grow in courage and faith so that my fear does not stop me from doing what is right in your eyes. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. When George was stationed with the Army Rangers, we experienced extreme outsider status. It wasn't scary, but it was strange and uncomfortable, and it made me want to reach out to those who are new, who don't exactly belong by the formal rules of grouping. It also made me feel very strong. If one group wouldn't accept me, then by golly, I'd make my own group. And I did, seeking social interaction through work and neighbors rather than through the military. I met some amazing people that way, and retain a few of those friendships to this day, so many years later!

    God doesn't want us to be alone for long...40 days in the wilderness was Jesus' limit, and that was by choice to commune with God, not imposed from outside by rude or dangerous people. God didn't let Moses stay alone for long, either. But periods of alienation teach us what we don't want for ourselves...and for others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!